Freephone: 0800 2800 094
0161 979 0003Text: CIC to 88802Email:

Slips, Trips and Falls Outdoors

Trips and falls are a common occurrence, but if you suffer an injury that was caused by a poorly maintained surface, you may well be entitled to compensation.

It is often the responsibility of a private premises or local council to look after surfaces and walkways, and if they can be proven to have failed in this regard then they could potentially be liable for your injury.

Trips and Falls on Private Property

There are many places where you could potentially trip or falls outdoors, and if this occurs while you are visiting somewhere then there are laws in place to protect you.

The Occupiers Liability Act 1957 put in place a duty of care for each premises towards all lawful visitors. This covers many places you are likely to go to on a regular basis, such as supermarkets and restaurants.

This is by no means limited to the buildings themselves, and covers all surrounding areas such as walkways, car parks and gardens.

If it can be shown that any of these areas was poorly maintained and that this contributed to your trip or fall, you may be able to claim compensation.

Similarly, a successful claim could be brought if it can be shown that health and safety guidelines were not followed.

For example, you might slip in an icy car park that was not properly cleared or did not have warning signs in the area.

Trips and Falls in Public

If you trip over a pavement walking down the street, it is sometimes possible to make a claim against the local council.

It is often their responsibility to maintain these walkways and ensure they are safe to use, and our team would explore every avenue to check whether this was carried out or not.

To help your case, you should get photographic evidence of the spot where you fell, and measure the hole or ridge that caused your accident.

This needs to be over one inch deep or one inch raised in order for your claim to be successful, so these measurements are certainly worth recording.

Contact Croftons Solicitors

If you have suffered an injury in a trip or fall anywhere outdoors, speak to Croftons Solicitors about making a compensation claim. We will carefully assess all aspects of your case in order to give you the best chance of success.

Call us free on 0800 2800 094 or complete our contact form to let our team know about your case.

Croftons Injury Claims and Croftons are trading names of Croftons Solicitors LLP, a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with number OC343375.
The term ‘partner’, if used, denotes a member of Croftons Solicitors LLP or a senior solicitor of Croftons Solicitors LLP with equivalent standing and qualifications. A full list of members is open to inspection at the office. Croftons is authorised and regulated by The Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) number 508041.
VAT Registration number 145 2172 89. Croftons has its principal place of business at The Lexicon, Mount Street, Manchester, M2 5FA.
We do not accept service by fax or other electronic method.