Freephone: 0800 2800 094
0161 979 0003Text: CIC to 88802Email:

“I have received an excellent level
of service
and help in understanding
my case"

Start My Claim Now

Accidents Abroad Compensation

Your holiday should be a relaxing, happy occasion that allows you to enjoy quality time with friends and family. Unfortunately, your hard-earned break can occasionally be spoiled by an injury or illness that was not your fault.

If you suffer an accident while holidaying abroad, the personal injury experts at Croftons Solicitors will work hard to secure the compensation you deserve.

How we can help

The first thing our team will need to find out is whether or not your claim can be made in a UK court. If your injury occurred while you were on a package holiday, you could claim against your travel company or tour operator in the UK under the Package Travel Regulations 1992.

As with any personal injury claim, you should visit us as soon as possible after your accident so we can start assessing your case. Situations we could help with include:

  1. Any injury suffered as a result of poorly maintained accommodation booked as part of your holiday package – e.g. slips, trips and falls
  2. Accidents that occur on pre-planned excursions
  3. Food poisoning caused by your hotel restaurant

In these circumstances, our team will provide all the support you need throughout the process, gathering the facts of your case in order to make a robust claim on your behalf.

It is important to note that some accidents are not covered by these regulations, for example if you are injured in a public place, or on a day excursion that you did not book as part of your package holiday.

What if I am injured while travelling abroad?

Road accidents

If you are the victim of a road accident within the EU, you could claim in the UK even if you are not visiting as part of a package holiday.

Since 2003, all EU drivers and their insurance details have been contained within one database in order to help victims in these cases, so provided you can identify the at-fault party, Croftons may be able to help you with a claim.

To stand any chance of succeeding, you must report the incident to police immediately and keep any paperwork you are given, while in certain countries you must also get medical treatment promptly after your accident.

Cruise ship accidents

Holidays on board a cruise ship may well be covered by the Package Travel Regulations, meaning the company could be liable for any injuries you sustain during the voyage. This can also apply for accidents that occur in international waters.

However, it is important to note that accidents on cruise ships are subject to a two-year time limit, which is shorter than many personal injury cases.

Aircraft accidents

People may be injured on planes for a variety of reasons, including slips and trips on staircases, food poisoning, falling objects from overhead lockers and rough landings. If you booked your flight as part of your package holiday, you may be eligible to claim.

As with cruise ships, claims related to accidents on aeroplanes must be made within two years of the incident.

Accidents at work

Of course, not every trip abroad is a holiday. If you work abroad for a UK-based employer and are injured while carrying out your duties, it may be possible to bring your claim in a UK court.

As with any injury claim, the best thing you can do in these circumstances is speak to us right away, so that we can let you know what your next step should be.

Time limits on claims

While the time limit for personal injury claims is usually up to three years from the date of the accident, some cases may vary depending on where the accident occurred (e.g. accidents on planes and cruises ships) and the nature of it.

As such, we recommend you get in touch as soon as possible to avoid a situation where your genuine claim may become ineligible.

Get the support you need from Croftons Solicitors

At Croftons Solicitors, we will provide all the legal expertise you need to stand the best chance of a successful claim, while we also understand the stress you will be under after suffering an injury overseas.

If you would like to speak to our team about a claim, call us on 0800 2800 094 today, or let us know about your circumstances using the enquiry form on this page.

Croftons Injury Claims and Croftons are trading names of Croftons Solicitors LLP, a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with number OC343375.
The term ‘partner’, if used, denotes a member of Croftons Solicitors LLP or a senior solicitor of Croftons Solicitors LLP with equivalent standing and qualifications. A full list of members is open to inspection at the office. Croftons is authorised and regulated by The Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) number 508041.
VAT Registration number 145 2172 89. Croftons has its principal place of business at The Lexicon, Mount Street, Manchester, M2 5FA.
We do not accept service by fax or other electronic method.